CVE No: CVE-2018-0016.
MODIFICATION HISTORY: 11/04/2018 – Initial Publication
CVSS SCORE: 9.8 (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)
RISK LEVEL: Critical
RISK ASSESSMENT: Information for how Juniper Networks uses CVSS can be found at KB 16446 “Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) and Juniper’s Security Advisories.”
PRODUCT AFFECTED: This issue affects Junos OS 15.1, 15.1X49, 15.1X53.
Receipt of a specially crafted Connectionless Network Protocol (CLNP) packet destined to an interface IP address of a Junos OS device may result in a kernel crash or lead to remote code execution.
Devices are only vulnerable to the specially crafted CLNP packet if ‘clns-routing’ or ESIS is explicitly configured. Devices without CLNS enabled are not vulnerable to this issue.
This issue only affects devices running Junos OS 15.1. Affected releases are Juniper Networks Junos OS:
- 1 versions prior to 15.1F5-S3, 15.1F6-S8, 15.1F7, 15.1R5;
- 1X49 versions prior to 15.1X49-D60;
- 1X53 versions prior to 15.1X53-D66, 15.1X53-D233, 15.1X53-D471.
Earlier releases are unaffected by this vulnerability, and the issue has been resolved in Junos OS 16.1R1 and all subsequent releases.
The following configuration is required:
- set protocols isis clns-routing
Juniper SIRT is not aware of any malicious exploitation of this vulnerability.
This issue was found during internal product security testing or research.
The following software releases have been updated to resolve this specific issue: 15.1F5-S3, 15.1F6-S8, 15.1F7, 15.1R5, 15.1X49-D60, 15.1X53-D66, 15.1X53-D233, 15.1X53-D471, 16.1R1, and all subsequent releases.
Note: Juniper SIRT’s policy is not to evaluate releases which are beyond End of Engineering (EOE) or End of Life (EOL).
Use access lists or firewall filters to limit access to the device via CLNP only from trusted hosts.
Software Releases, patches and updates are available at https://www.juniper.net/support/downloads/.
- KB16613: Overview of the Juniper Networks SIRT Monthly Security Bulletin Publication Process
- KB16765: In which releases are vulnerabilities fixed?
- KB16446: Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) and Juniper’s Security Advisories
- Report a Vulnerability – How to Contact the Juniper Networks Security Incident Response Team